Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Pain is Pain

So I have been pretty M.I.A lastly and there is a reason for that. 

For the last five years I have been dealing with my tonsils and have been having a lot of problems with them. I have tonsillitis at least once every three months, and it lasts for about a week at least. My health care will not let me have them removed until until I had enough cases of the tonsillitis recorded. This involved me paying to have a strep test everyte I was sick, to them hear back that they can't do anything and I just have to deal with it. I can't take any of the medicine that is typically given for tonsillitis because I am allergic to it and found out the hard way when I had allergic reactions to them. 



This year I was finally given the ok to have my tonsils and adenoids removed (they were both really bad and the doctor could see my tonsils when I opened my mouth without any effort. They were that big and infected.). I was told it would be a painful surgery and recovery since I am an adult now. I was not prepared for the pain I was about to face. 

Right after the surgery I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and threw up 5 times within two hours of finishing the surgery. This was not good at all because I had just had throat surgery. Once I got home though, I slept quite a bit. Over the next few days I would endlessly cry (I never cry so this was bad) about how much pain I was in. I could not even swallow my own spit because it was so painful. I ended up having a bad reaction to the Oxy that I was prescribed for the pain so I stopped taking it a couple of days ago. Instead, I started doing a Tylenol and Motrin routine that the doctor told me I could do. With the Oxy I was constantly nauseous and dizzy, which then I would have to take another pill to help me not be dizzy. I couldn't walk anywhere on my own, so everyone had to help me get out of bed and even walk to the bathroom. Being off of the Oxy was beyond nice. 

A couple of nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with the taste of blood in my mouth. At first I though it was no big deal so I tried going back to sleep. Then woke up not much longer after with a heavy taste of blood in my mouth. So I went to the bathroom was was spitting out bright blood. I had spit out at least a fourth of a cup. My mom called the advise nurse and we were told to go to the emergency room. I have never been to the emergency room for myself before. 

Once we were in emergency, I was being checked by the doctor and threw up at least a cup and a half of just blood. Then things were concerning. I was put on a IV of fluids, and pain killers. Every doctor I saw that night said that this is the most painful surgery for an adult to have and tahat they would not recommend it to anyone. The end result was that one of my stitches in my throat had ripped and was then just gushing blood. 

Now that I am home, I am doing better, but can feel where the stitch ripped because it stings and is painful to swallow anything. But I should be healed in a few days and will be back to doing all of my fun post again! You guys have no idea how much I miss whole foods. I have been on a liquid only diet since the surgery last Tuesday. 

Be on the lookout in the next week for the fun posts to be back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment