Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Snow Morning

There is yet another snow storm in Portland, but this one is nothing like the previous ones we have had. Thankfully I left work last night just when the rain/sleet started to turn into snow, but once I was closer to getting home, it was a complete white out. Last night we were averaging an inch of snowfall per hour, which is insane to have happen in this area. Plus most people here do not know how to drive in the snow (few people are trained for it), so what's scarier than driving on possible ice is driving on the road with everyone else. But I do enjoy snow days where I know that I have no responsibilities to take care of or work to worry about. Therefore, I am sitting here writing this post while eating some Joe's O's (Trader Joe's version of Cheerios which happen to be extremely addicting for me and still are healthy, plus gluten free). On snow days we tend to take full advantage of the weather while we still have it. There is a lot of cooking/baking, movies and sledding. Since my family is all getting older (but I am still the early riser), I thought I would make brunch since in my opinion it is the best meal and there really is no wrong way to do brunch. The first item on the menu was a frittata, which is odd for me to want because I don't really like the taste of eggs, but will eat them if there is a bunch of other stuff mixed in with it. My mom recently went back on the Whole30, so the recipe needed to be diet approved, but not bland because my dad and brother would not eat it. After skimming through the cookbook, along with a couple of my own cookbooks, which included Pinterest, I found an acceptable recipe to try out. My mom also bought a cast iron skillet set, which happened to be one of my dreams to own, so I knew I would be using one of those to cook the frittata in. Now onto the actual recipe: below is the recipe all nice and neat for you to follow. Ingredients: 6 large eggs 1 cup diced tomatoes + a few slices to top frittata with 3/4 cup chopped white mushrooms 2 handfuls of roughly chopped spinach 1/2 diced onion 2 TBSP cooking fat (I used olive oil) 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp black pepper zest and juice of 1/4 lemon Preheat oven to 500 degrees Heat skillet on the stove with cooking fat Add in onion, tomatoes and mushrooms until onions are translucent: about 2-3 minutes In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs along with the salt and pepper Toss in spinach to skillet and cook until wilted Slowly fold in eggs into the skillet until veggies are mixed evenly Let mixture cook without stirring until the eggs are still wet, but firm Once firm, add the sliced tomatoes on top along with zest and juice from the lemon Transfer to oven and cook until the top is golden brown: about 6-8 minutes
On my piece I added grated cheddar cheese and hot sauce also. To go with the frittata I just cooked some diced potatoes in olive oil, and had some mixed berries to go on the side. The berries add a fresh and lightness to the meal so it's not a bunch of heavy dishes. This was a great brunch option because it didn't feel like it was just sitting at the bottom of my stomach when I was done eating, and even now. It is filled with protein from the eggs, as well as nutrients from the veggies that were added to it. But now it is time to enjoy the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment